Utah, Get Me Two

Badassedry at its finest, I dedicate this site to Gary Busey's performance as Angelo Pappas in Point Break. An absolutely phenomenal movie that I try to live my life by.

Friday, June 23, 2006

This is what my ideas must look like to other people

My friends, I witnessed probably one of the most amazing and probably one of the worst ideas in legal history the other day. Without any prompting, or suggestions from me, I saw an attorney break out the AMERICAN DEFENSE in his closing argument.

Granted, the case was a weak one at best...it probably should not have gone to trial. When things devolved at trial, my supervisor stood up in his closing, pointed to the American flag and talked of American values. He talked about how the British oppressed the Americans and we didn't take shit from those foreign bastards. Then he talked about how cops oppress the fine rural folks of this county, and we should have the right to lie, talk back, and even restrain cops when they conflict with our right to drink. Then he put his hand on his heart and faced the flag and asked them to remember American values and acquit...basically asking for jury nullification.

Needless to say, he drew numerous objections during this closing. But the judge didn't respond with the expected, "shut your filthy mouth you un-American pile of shit." Rather, she uttered "Sustained."Baffling. After the jury had retired to deliberate, the judge ripped off her glasses, stared at the attorney and told him that she had never seen a more improper, out of order closing in her life. I asked him later why he did it...and he said he wanted me to learn a lesson about trials: that you have to stand up to the judge. I thought that was a costly lesson, since somebody's freedom hung in the balance. But to his credit, the case was a loser from the start.

I can't believe I actually saw the American Defense in action. Moreover, I can't believe that the American Defense resulted in a conviction. There's a new line here. I talk about stupid ideas, but some people actually put them into action.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vice said...

Wow - I'd say that story is about 35% horrendously stupid, and 65% awesome. America....

3:11 PM  
Blogger Ismael Tapia II said...

That's one of the most amazing things I've ever heard. And most awesome.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home