Utah, Get Me Two

Badassedry at its finest, I dedicate this site to Gary Busey's performance as Angelo Pappas in Point Break. An absolutely phenomenal movie that I try to live my life by.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Pull the Trigger

Normally I'm not an aggressive poker player, but it was aggression that took down the med students last night. And it's true, pride earned at the table is much sweeter than money. Here are some of my favorite moments from last nights Dean Cup Poker:

1. Med Student jeeringly asks us if we watch Law and Order. I ask him if they like watching Doogie Howser, M.D.

2. The stupidity of my early aggression. I admit that the first three times I went all in, it was pure luck that saved me. K-10 outdrew A-K and A-8 outdrew A-Q. I should have been eliminated early on, but ended up drawing out on marginal all-in hands. Sorry A-Mart.

3. At the final table, the board read 8, 9, 8, 9, K. Medical dick had raised big before the flop and I protected my big blind. Problem was, I had 5, 3 offsuit. He checked through the river and I heard a voice in my mind saying "He's weak, pull the trigger." I asked the med student what he had left and moved all in. That was a very long 60 seconds as he debated calling then folded. I think that hand changed the course of the final table and put law in the lead.

4. Somebody had to explain law versus med strategy to me at the final table. I kept getting uber-aggressive with the law students before people yelled at me to stop. Normally, I'm not in the big stack position, so it was hard not to be a bully. I think there is a direct relationship between chip count and aggression, because it was very hard not to raise, regardless of the player.

5. Taking down the med students for the law school. The med student raised before the flop and I called all-in with pocket jacks. Turns out he had Q-J so all I had to do was avoid a queen. We took it down and the med students left with one point. The remaining law student and myself walked away with nine points. I congratulated him on the joint win, even though he is a 1L.

6. Somebody said something about my power making me evil and I responded with something about not having the "heart" ring. Only one person got it. It's amazing how ignorant people are of Captain Planet these days.

3 Comments:

Blogger RPM said...

You're on fire! Congratulations, Utah. I think the tide has clearly turned.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Johnny Utah said...

Because that wasn't really "throwing up." It was more of a burp with a little beer thrown in. And it wasn't my fault since a certain law school dean made me chug the foamy beer instead of taking it off the premises.

8:17 AM  
Blogger RPM said...

Why did I have to be sick before the festivities? Man, that sounds like fun.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home