Utah, Get Me Two

Badassedry at its finest, I dedicate this site to Gary Busey's performance as Angelo Pappas in Point Break. An absolutely phenomenal movie that I try to live my life by.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Almost Contempt Moment

I have a real knack for pissing people off. However, I think I was born without that part of my brain that regulates whether or not I care. So anyways, I had a probation revocation hearing today with an unbelievable asshole ALJ. He and I get into it right away. Apparently he didn't like me appealing all of his decisions and writing the head of hearings and appeals to request a permanent substitution. Anyways, he overrules my objections on everything from speculation to privilege, and then sustains on a hearsay objection from the probation agent who doesn't know what the hell hearsay is. Plus, she's fat.

So after another heated argument, we go into closings, and he cuts me off, calling my "theory" that my client didn't assault his mother "ridiculous" and telling me to stop talking. He then goes into a rant about how he "peered into his soul and saw the evil inside." Now, I sometimes lose control, particularly when a condescending prick wrongs me in a public manner. So I turned to my client and told him that Jesus was back to judge the quick and the dead and that his number was up. Fucking ALJ slammed his hand on the desk, stopped the recorder, packed up his shit, and left.

I think I won that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vice said...

Wow. That's awesome. I haven't gotten to the point yet where I don't care. A few months back I had a pretty ridiculous revocation hearing with an ALJ who showed up late, then spent the entire hearing checking his watch every twelve seconds. Five witnesses testified, and any time I began questioning them, the ALJ would cut me off, over and over and over. Then when I had the balls to keep going, he'd start questioning my line of defense, pointing out that the witness already testified to one thing, and any attempts I made to draw the witness's credibility into question were apparently irrelevant. Then we began arguing about my theory of defense. At one point he asked me some ridiculous question, and I just sat there fuming in silence for a good minute, before looking over at him with murderous rage in my eyes, and spoke very carefully so as not to let my hostility boil over and disembowel him. So naturally he revoked my guy and overshot the agent's recommendation by about 2 years.

Kudos to you for not taking it, and firing off a nice line. I would have loved to see that fucker storm out of the room.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home